Friday, September 6, 2013

Jakarta's Public Transportation: Kopaja

There are a lot of public transportation in Jakarta. Metromini/angkot, Kopaja, TransJakarta, Ojek (motorcycle),  Bemo, etc. I've never been in Bemo, because I think Bemo doesn't appear in all Jakarta.
Me myself, since I worked at Cikini  last August, that was the first time I had to use Kopaja to get to my office. KOPAJA is Koperasi Angkutan Jakarta (Jakarta Transport Cooperative). What I see about Kopaja.. Kopaja is a bus with seats, but a lot of people would stand up in the middle or even near the door (by the way, the door is always open, even when inside the bus is full). It has no air conditioner. We must stand huddled, so others get a place. There's always women with skirt, and I can't imagine how hard she keep her skirt stay neat and polite.

At first I was afraid, because of so many stories about thug or bad people in Kopaja. When I saw so many women fight for their life against crime in Kopaja, I became bold. I mean..
They work everyday and use Kopaja to get to their work place. They are women, with long hair, short hair, with skirt, trousers, make-up, no make-up, backpack, handbag, employee, student, mother, etc.
So, why should I be afraid of it? I love this city full of crime, and they are in the same position like me. When I have to use public transportation, I put my face as if I do not care about surrounding me and pretended to be clever and knew everything( of course at first I ask my friend and cousins about which should I pick to get somewhere and learn from map). They see me as if I did not hesitate and confused.

No comments: